Pre-School Age (2-5 years old)
Below is a list of speech and language-related milestones that are considered age appropriate:
2 years old
• Uses 2-3 word phrase
• Uses at least 100 words
• Uses age appropriate sounds; /b, m, p, h, n/
3 years old
• Uses 3-5 word phrases
• Labels familiar objects, animals, body parts, etc...
• Knows personal information; name & age
• Uses age appropriate sounds; /b, m, p, n, h, f, g, k, t, d, w, ng/
4 years old
• Uses 4-6 word sentences
• Identifies and labels colors and shapes
• Counting 1-10
• Answers questions correctly
• Uses age appropriate sounds; /b, m, p, n, h, f, g, k, t, d, w, ng, kw(q)/
5 years old
• Uses 5-7 word sentences
• Produces grammatically correct sentences; correct pronouns, verbs plurals, etc.
• Able to tell you about his/her day in sequential order
• Retells short stories
• Can name at least 6 items in a category; animals, colors, shapes, food, vehicles, etc.
• Uses age appropriate sounds; b, m, p, n, h, f, g, k, t, d, w, ng, kw(q), ch, j, l, s, sh, y, v, z